Power Management Products
March 17, 2022
TDK announces new ultra-low profile µPOL DC-DC converters
- Advanced ultra-low profile packaging and 3D technology are key drivers for next-generation high performance energy efficient designs
- High-density solution for space-constrained applications requiring a low-profile power source
- Scalable and highly configurable with multi-time programmable memory, offering a wide range of flexibility using Digital Communication (I2C and PMBUS)
- Premiering at APEC 2022 in Houston, TX March 20-24, TDK booth #814
TDK Corporation (TSE:6762) announces the availability of FS1412 microPOL (μPOL™) power module. At 5.8. mm x 4.9 mm x 1.6 mm (L x W x T), the FS1412 is part of a new series of µPOL™ DC-DC converters with increased performance, smallest available size, ease of use, and simplified integration for applications such as big data, machine learning, artificial intelligence (AI), 5G cells, IoT networking, telecommunication, and computing enterprise. μPOL technology includes a DC-DC converter placed in the vicinity of complex chipsets such as ASICs, FPGAs, and others. By minimizing the distance between the converter and the chipset, the resistance and the inductance components are minimized, allowing fast response and accurate regulation with dynamic load currents. Mass production of FS1412 started in Q4 2021
TDK has been developing this technology over several years to enable system level solutions to enhance electrical and thermal performance focusing on high-density cost-effective solutions for space-constrained applications which require a low-profile power source. These new solutions incorporate high-performance semiconductors in advanced packaging technologies such as semiconductor embedded in substrate (SESUB) and advanced electronic components to achieve unique system integration in a smaller size and lower profile by 3D integration. This integration allows TDK to deliver higher efficiency and ease of use at a lower total system cost to what is currently available today.
The new µPOL DC-DC converters series operates at a broad junction temperature range, from -40 °C to 125 °C and features a high current density of more than 1000 A per cubic inch. The series delivers at 12 A with the lowest commercially available height at 1.6 mm, while offering 50% less solution size than the other products available in its class. As a result, this minimizes system solution cost, reduces board size and assembly costs, as well as BOM and PCB costs.
TDK will be showcasing its µPOL technology and full line-up of compact power solutions at APEC 2022 from March 20-24, George R. Brown Convention Center in Houston, TX, USA at booth #814.
Features & Applications
- Network Storage: Enterprise SSD / Storage Area Network
- Servers: Main Stream Server, Rack and Blade Server, Micro Server
- Netcoms and Telecoms: Ethernet Switch and Router and 5G Small Cells and 5G Base Stations
Main features and benefits
- Footprint of 5.8 x 4.9 x 1.6 mm (L x W x T)
- Output current rated at 12 A, with 50% less required capacitance than existing products
- Suitable for a junction temperature range from -40°C to 125°C
- Lead free and RoHS/WEEE compliant
μPOL and nPOL
are integrated DC-DC converters placed in the vicinity of complex ICs such as ASICs, FPGAs, and others.
Rated current [A]
5.8 x 4.9 x 1.6
Get in Contact
Sales Network & Sites
If you are interested in our products, you will find here an overview of our worldwide sales offices, which you can contact quickly and easily