May 21, 2019
PiezoListen: Ultra-thin piezo speaker with a wide dynamic range
- Optimized frequency characteristics in the range as low as 400 Hz
- High sound pressure based on TDK’s piezoelectric technology
- Expandable lineup for a broad range of applications
TDK Corporation (TSE: 6762) has developed an ultra-thin piezoelectric speaker – PiezoListen™ – that produces sound over a broader frequency range and with a greater output in the low range than any existing piezoelectric speakers*. It features an operating frequency range of 400 to 20,000 Hz and achieves a high sound pressure of 80 dB, even at low voltages of 24 VP-P or below. The speakers have a maximum output power of 34 W and an impedance of 2 to 100 Ω. With a thickness of just 0.49 mm, PiezoListen is also one of the thinnest piezo speakers available. The development of the low-profile, high-displacement piezoelectric element was made possible by TDK’s patented lamination and material technologies. Samples of the general grade product (PHUA3030-049B-00-000) will be available starting in June 2019.
Thanks to its low profile, PiezoListen enables designers to overcome installation space constraints. Moreover, the new speaker element features a very flexible form and is thus able to produce sound from many different kinds of objects and materials. With the new PiezoListen piezo speakers, TDK is helping customers to design innovative audio applications. Not only is the standard format for video content rapidly moving to 4K and 8K resolutions, but more and more video content is offering multichannel audio as well.
In addition to the wide-range speaker, the PiezoListen lineup will be extended in the coming year with a sound positioning speaker with an operating frequency range of 1000 to 20,000 Hz that will allow users to create their own 3D audio experience. Possible applications for PiezoListen are speakers for televisions, tablets, laptops and other devices, as well as for surround sound systems.
* Source: TDK market research May 2019
- Speakers for televisions, tablets, laptops and other devices
- Positioning speakers in surround systems
Main features and benefits
- Ultra-thin speaker with a thickness of 0.49 mm
- Able to produce sound from many different kinds of objects and materials
- A wide frequency range of 400 to 20,000 Hz with high sound pressure of 80 dB
|PHUA3030-049B-00-000||30 x 30 x 0.49||24||400 to 20,000||-10 to 60||General|